In the human world when a child misbehaves it is send to his/her room, is being yelled at or his/her phone is being taken away from him/her (oh, the horror!). In the cat’s world, things are a little bit different. You cannot tell a cat that he/she is grounded and not talking to her/him will not be worth a rat’s arse. Not to fly over the cuckoo’s nest and discipline your cat at the same time is, believe it or not, possible.
5 Simple Steps to Discipline Your Cat
1. First of all, you have to find what motivates your cat. Usually, that’s food, or in cat’s case, fish, I assume. So, every time he/she does something good, pet it, say nice things too, but nothing will do the trick as giving it food. Repeat it as often as possible, till the good behavior becomes everyday’s custom.
Don’t fall for the meowing and the sad little eyes. They are cats, descendants of Egyptian Gods, they expect to be worshiped no matter what and even get away with murder. But, I repeat, do not fall for it! Even if they bring stinky rat’s cadaver and look all proud and victorious, stay firm, for it’s a trap!
2. Secondly, take your time. Patience you will need. Also, know that kittens are more curious than older cats and they tend to get distracted as elderly cats already have their mannerism and you will need nerves of steel to teach them your way.
3. Setting traps will also do wonders. To discipline your cat and prevent the unwanted behavior, you need to outsmart it. For example, if he/she likes to jump on the table, put a double-sided tape on the surface so he/she will think twice the next time it wants to do it.
4. When you are mad at him/her stay mad. Don’t talk to them, don’t pet them, don’t even look at them. Believe me, the sleazy, little rascals will know that something’s off.
The hissing noise is beneficial when they try to reward you for being such a good servant to their feline majesty and bring you a dead rat or insect at home. Their hatred towards the water is a tale as old as time. So splashing a little water at their stinky, lazy bodies will make them run like the devil.
5. And the last, but not the least, make sure you don’t strike them! It will just bring the opposite effect and you don’t want to end up being hated by a cat, don’t ya?